Thursday, February 9, 2012

Language Acquisition

Knowledge of languages is the doorway to wisdom.     Roger Bacon

 Since I missed this evening’s face to face class, my reflection will be on Chapter 3’s topic in relation to my own classroom experience.  Chapter 3 discusses the sociocultural and cognitive model in regards to second language learners.  The author describes second language learners use the similar knowledge to communicate with the target language.  This is evident in some of my ELL students.  As part of my reading instruction last week, we were learning about past tense verbs.   As a whole group, we brainstormed “action words.”  From that list, the students added –ed to make the verbs in the past tense form.  Most of the students picked up the concept rather quickly but my ELL students had some difficulty with particular verbs.  Some of the words were:  ride (ride-ed)  hide (hide-ed) .  As we explored the rules of the English language on why some past tense verbs are not spelled with –ed, my ELL students responded with “...That’s why my mom says…”  The lesson continued with more examples and eventually my ELL student understood.  Despite my reading/ language arts lesson, could it be assumed that my ELL student acquired the skill? 


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like your ELL student was able to make a connection with what he or she had heard. I do wonder if this was acquired and is a part of the subconscious. I have also wondered about how to explain how 'weird' English can be with it mixed words and all the 'exceptions to the rules.' However, I can say taking courses that breaks down every sentence and English rule structure, so I can learn exactly why and how it is done, helps me learn to use the language more effectively.

    ReplyDelete