Thursday, January 26, 2012

Jigsaw Activity

I was eager that tonight’s class session included one of many cooperative learning strategies for a classroom especially with English Language Learners (ELL).  The Jigsaw strategy made an excellent ice-breaker. I had the opportunity to meet Donna and Jackie.  This was an excellent tool that encourages listening and engagement of the lesson.  Chapter One discusses the varying approaches to language learning.  A thought that strikes me is how the theories are moving towards students involving their meaningful experiences in their new language.  I believe that any learning becomes authentic and meaningful to a child if there is some connection to their prior knowledge and the new concepts.  Once that association is made then the knowledge becomes genuine to the learner.  I enjoyed tonight’s group presentations and look forward to more engaging discussions!

No comments:

Post a Comment